Radon Levels a Concern in Denver, Colorado
Radon, an odorless and invisible gas, silently creeps inside the homes of thousands across the country every day. Second only to smoking as the leading cause of lung cancer, the risk from this deadly killer is not as well known as that from smoking, yet it is equally prevalent in Denver, Colorado.
While around 20 percent of Colorado adult residents are smokers, the remaining 80 percent may feel they are at little to no risk of lung cancer and similar diseases. Most understand the dangers of second hand smoke and take measures to limit their exposure. What they may not realize, however, is that Denver’s radon levels often rank higher than the recommended safe exposure. The average national indoor radon levels are about 1.3 pCi/L, yet 43 percent of the studied homes in the Denver region have produced results over 4.0 pCi/L.
Exposure to Radon Levels in the Denver Region
For non-smokers, 4.0 pCi/L puts them at as high of a risk from dying from the radon exposure as they are of dying in a car accident. A smoker’s risk is an even higher — about five times the risk of dying in a car accident. Considering that the government has mandated seat belt laws across the country, radon exposure is just as real of a threat and should not be ignored. Many, however, do just that since they cannot see the problem or its effects. While the carnage from radon exposure is not as obvious as that produced by a car crash, its consequences can be just as deadly.
Detecting High Radon Levels
Radon gas cannot be detected through the senses of sight, sound, taste, touch or smell. However, with proper training and equipment, high radon levels can be detected and prevented. You can do this via either a short term or a long term test. Short term tests are easier and take anywhere from a couple of days to three months to complete, depending on the method used. A long term test takes more than three months, but it can give more detailed results, providing a better idea of the radon levels throughout the year. Either method, however, will alert you if you are at risk.
Correcting High Radon Levels
If high radon levels are detected, you should have SWAT Environmental’s specialists begin immediate efforts to reduce them. Since cracks in the foundation allow radon to enter the living environment, sealing them is often the first step to help counter a radon contamination. There are also specialized ventilation systems that can be installed to force the radon out of the home. If you are constructing a new home in the Denver region, you should have the construction site checked first to see if radon is prevalent. If so, include a radon mitigation system in the home design.
Radon is a very real threat in Denver, Colorado. Rather than ignore the problem, you should take the time to properly protect yourself from its risk to your health.
- Denver, CO, 80206-4084 USA
firstname.lastname@example.org • 303-466-2626